Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
These delicious yet healthy blueberry lemon pancakes use plantains instead of flour. The fluffy texture combined with the flavors of lemon, blueberries makes for an irresistible treat. This recipe is gluten and dairy-free and Paleo-compliant. If you have successfully reintroduced eggs on the AIP you can enjoy these as well.
- Ingredients in Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Why these Pancakes are a Healthier Option
- Other Benefits of these Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Tips for Making these Pancakes
- More Grain-free Sweets
Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
If you love pancakes and blueberries you are gonna have to give these blueberry lemon pancakes a try. They are so yummy! These pancakes are perfect for you if you want to enjoy some of your favorite staples but eat healthy at the same time. Because instead of using refined flour this recipe uses plantains.
Being able to eat things like pancakes and waffles again has been a real game-changer for me. Just because you are cutting down on refined sugars and processed flours, doesn’t mean you have to say goodbye to some of your favorite foods.
Ingredients in Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- green plantains
- pasture-raised eggs
- vanilla extract
- coconut oil
- sea salt
- organic blueberries
Do you have food sensitivities and don’t know what to eat? Get my FREE substitution chart to learn how to make easy swaps, because life is too short to not enjoy food. Suitable for gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free, Paleo, and AIP.
Why these Pancakes are a Healthier Option
Most regular pancakes use refined wheat flour and refined sugar, which has no real nutritional value, spikes your blood sugar and can be inflammatory.
These blueberry lemon pancakes are made of plantains instead of refined flour. Plantains are a great starchy carb source, that will provide you with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe also uses 4 eggs instead of 1 egg like most pancake recipes. This provides more healthy fats and protein to this recipe. So instead of just eating a bunch of empty carbs, this recipe provides you will whole food ingredients and is a more balanced version of pancakes since it provides you with all three macronutrients (fat, protein, and carbs).The recipe also only uses 2 Tablespoons of honey (a natural sweetener) instead of a load of refined sugar.
Summary: These pancakes are more balanced in their macronutrients, they provide you with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and don’t contain inflammatory ingredients = This translates to less bloat and feeling full much longer.
Now, this doesn’t mean that eating this pancake recipe is a great idea all day every day. Especially when it comes to breakfast, starting your day with a savory high protein breakfast is the best thing you can do to set yourself up for a day of good blood sugar balance. But it is such a great option when you feel like you want to indulge in a healthier way.
HOT TIP: Eat these pancakes for dinner instead of breakfast for better blood sugar regulation.
Other Benefits of these Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Easy and quick to make
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Nut free
If you are following a Paleo diet or you cannot eat grains, dairy, or nuts for health reasons you should really try this recipe. I used to get irritated when going for brunch, having to watch other people eat pancakes in front of me. Now, even though I cannot order these pancakes when I am out, it doesn’t bother me anymore. Because I no longer feel deprived and I know that I can make delicious pancakes that I tolerate anytime I want. It has made a huge difference for me. So I encourage you to try.
Tips for Making these Pancakes
- You can use fresh or frozen berries for this blueberry lemon pancake recipe, either works fine. Just add them to the batter once you are done with blending all the other ingredients.
- Try to distribute the blueberries evenly when pouring the batter into the frying pan.
- To speed up the process use two frying pans simultaneously.
- If you like your pancakes very sweet, try the first pancake to check if you would like to add additional honey to the batter.
HOT TIP: Use two frying pans to speed up the cooking process.
- Can I use yellow plantains? The high sarch content in green plantains is what makes these so fluffy. So green plantains are best for this recipe. I have tried using one yellow plantain and once green plantain. They will sweeter and the texture will change slightly. They will also take longer to cook, so in order to not burn them you would cook them on a lower temperature.
- Can I make these ahead? Yes, you can either just make the batter ahead or fried them ahead of time. Store them i the fridge and reheat them in the pan when you would like to eat them.
More Grain-free Sweets
- 5 Minute Grain-free Oatmeal (AIP)
- Fluffy Paleo Pancakes
- Crispy Paleo Waffles
- Grain-free Rhubarb Cake
- German Plum Sheet Cake
- Birthday Berry Cake
If you love this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment below. And as always don’t forget to tag me in your food pictures on Instagram.
Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- 2 green plantains
- 4 pasture raised eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed (add additional lemon zest for extra flavor - only if using organic lemon)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey use more honey if you like your pancakes very sweet.
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- Peel and cut the plantains into small pieces. Use a knife to cut the peel off if it is hard to remove.
- Place plantains, eggs, honey, vanilla, lemon juice, coconut oil, sea salt and baking soda last into a blender. Blend until the batter is smooth.
- Add the blueberries and stir the batter with a spoon. Make sure they they distributed evenly.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour a scoop of the batter into the pan. (The amount will vary depending on if you like your pancakes, small, big, thick or thin)
- Cook the pancakes until they are firm enough to flip (approx. 2 minutes), then flip the pancakes and cook the other side on medium-low until they are cooked through. Tip: To speed up the process use 2 frying pans simultaneously.
- Shop using my affiliate links
- Buy my cookbook
- Leave a recipe review
- Like & share on Social Media
Add A Comment