Juicy Chicken Legs with Roasted Spring Vegetables
This chicken leg and spring vegetable recipe is one of my go-to foods for dinner. It is easy to make and a great way to do some batch cooking. Feel free to use whichever veggies you currently have at home. I love to freestyle recipes with things I already have in my kitchen and some of my favorite dishes were created that way.
What I love most about this recipe is that it is very simple. I noticed that if you use quality meats, oils and just a few spices the flavors are so amazing without any fancy seasoning.
Follow these tips for the best tasting chicken legs:
- When I say quality meats I mean pasture raised or 100 % grass-fed meats. Be careful with the name organic. Always research where your meat is coming from and how the animals were raised. The best thing is, of course, to buy it from your local farmer.
- I love to use chicken legs because they turn out very juicy.
- My preferred oil for frying chicken is avocado oil. A little bit of sea salt and pepper goes a long way.
I love adding fresh rosemary to roasted vegetables. It gives it an extra kick. If you don’t already grow your own herbs I recommend starting with rosemary. It is very easy to maintain. All it needs is a lot of sunlight and water whenever the soil is dry. No more plastic-wrapped supermarket rosemary and no more waste if you do not use the whole thing. And it looks super cute. I can only recommend having one. It will spice up your recipes so much!
The chicken legs and the vegetables still taste great the day after. Therefore I recommend making larger portions while you are already at it.
Juicy Chicken with Roasted Spring Vegetables
- 4 chicken legs pasture raised
- 1 bunch asparagus ends removed
- 6 carrots
- 1 fennel bulb stalks removed
- 4 tbsp olive oil virgin
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary fresh
- sea salt and pepper (omit pepper if you are AIP)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut vegetables into smaller pieces as shown in the picture. Place them in a casserole and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and rosemary and mix well. Roast for 30 - 40 minutes (depending on how soft you like the veggies).
- In the meantime heat avocado oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Place chicken in skillet, season with salt pepper and garlic powder and fry for 3 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to medium and and fry the other side until golden brown (4 minutes)
- Reduce temperature to low, turn chicken, cover with lid and let it simmer for 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken one last time and simmer for 3-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve veggies and chicken. Enjoy!