Vegetable Breakfast Skillet
Starting your day with a healthy meal is the best thing you can do to set yourself up for a great start into the day. This vegetable breakfast skillet is my absolute favorite breakfast. It is packed with nutrients, fiber and healthy fats. The combination of starches, greens and the egg is not only very delicious, it is filling but in a good way.
A lot of people struggle with getting enough fruits and especially vegetables into their diets. Recommendations about how many servings you should eat per day vary. A general rule of thumb is to have at least 5 a day. Now be honest and think about the last couple of days and how many servings you were eating each day. And no, the tomato on a burger is not a serving size. It is usually measured in cups: 1 serving = 1 cup.
This vegetable breakfast skillet will give you a head start.
It includes some of the healthiest foods full of fiber and micronutrients. For the past year or so it has been my favorite breakfast. It is so delicious and I noticed that I tend to eat healthier when I start my day with this breakfast. In this specific recipe I use sweet potato or yams, mushrooms, leeks and a leafy green vegetable like kale, chard, spinach or collard greens. Play around with your favorite ingredients and try to include different colors of vegetables. Since dark leafy vegetables have so many health benefits I always include them in this recipe. Even if I change up some other vegetables.
If you struggle with the thought of eating something savory or vegetables for breakfast think about this: Do you like bacon and eggs for breakfast? Home fries? Do you like omelette? A lot of these more traditional brunch, breakfast dishes are very savory. Often times an omelette will include vegetables like onions, spinach etc. If you like those foods you are going to like this one as well.
Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comment section below.
Vegetable Breakfast Skillet
- 1 leek washed (1 cup)
- 1/2 sweet potato (1 cup)
- 5 mushrooms button or crimini (1 cup)
- 1/2 bunch dinosaur kale or other leafy green
- avocado oil
- 4 eggs pasture raised
- sea salt and pepper
- Wash all vegetables. Chop leek, mushrooms and sweet potato into small pieces. Cut kale into medium pieces.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot add avocado oil.
- Add vegetables besides kale to the pan, season with salt and pepper and fry until the sweet potatoes are slightly browned on both sides and fork-tender. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot add a little bit of avocado oil and then add the eggs to the pan. Fry until the egg white is cooked through.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through add the kale to the pan and mix it with the other vegetables. Cover it with a lid, turn off the heat and let it rest for about 1- 2 minutes or until the kale is starting to wilt.
- Serve vegetable skillet with egg.