Artichoke with Herb Dip
If you have never tried artichokes you should give this recipe a try. There is something very satisfying about dipping the leaves in some delicious sauce and working your way through until you reach the most delicious part in the bottom/center called the heart.
This artichoke with herb dip recipe was created by my mom and now I am sharing this gem with you all. The dip is a delicious blend of herbs, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and a hard-boiled egg (omit if you are on the AIP) cut into tiny pieces. Sounds weird but tastes incredibly delicious! My mom uses the same dip for steamed asparagus but it goes really well with most veggies.
Artichokes are not only delicious, but they are also really healthy too. They are packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients and are a great source of fiber.
If you have never tried an artichoke before I encourage you to go for it. But you might ask yourself how to cook and eat this funny looking vegetable.
How to cook and eat an artichoke:
- Cut the excess stem and rinse with water. You can cut the top part of the artichoke leaves to remove the spiky part but it is not necessary.
- Boil in lightly salted water for about 35 minutes or until the leaves are easily removable.
- To eat the artichoke pull out the leafs one at a time starting from the outside.
- Dip the base of the leaf into your favorite dip. You only eat the thicker fleshy part by scraping it with your teeth. Discard the remaining leaf.
- Work your way through until you reach the fuzzy center. Gently remove that part with a spoon or knife until you are left with the heart (the bottom of the artichoke).
- Using a fork and knife cut the heart into smaller pieces and enjoy with your favorite dip.
This artichoke with herb dip recipe is a super healthy appetizer and a fun dish to share when you have friends or family over.
Artichoke with Herb Dip
- 2 artichokes
- 1/2 cup Dill
- 1/2 cup curly parsley
- 1/2 cup Chives
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (omit pepper on the AIP)
- 2 hardboiled eggs (omit eggs on the AIP)
- Fill up a large pot with lightly salted water, cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Wash the artichokes and cut the stems. You can also cut the top part with a knife and the leaves on the outside with scissors to remove the spiky part, but it is not necessary.
- Add the artichokes to the boiling water, cover with a lid and reduce temperature to low. Simmer for about 35 minutes or until the outer leaves can easily be pulled out.
- In the meantime prepare the dip. If you don't have hardboiled eggs on hand boil them now for 10 minutes, place them in ice-cold water, peel and cool off.
- Wash the dill, parsley, and chives and mince finely. In a small bowl mix olive oil, vinegar and salt, and pepper.
- If you have an egg slicer use it to slice the egg. Using a knife cut the egg into tiny cubes. Alternatively, use a knife for everything.
- Mix the egg and the herbs into the sauce and blend.