Crunchy Kale Chips
I never thought I would say this but I really love kale chips. Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I would actually like it as much as potato chips, if not even more. I used to be that person at a party that I could not stop eating the chips, once I got my hands them. So it is safe to say that I really love to snack.
If you follow an autoimmune protocol like me you know that it is very difficult to find any kind of chips to eat. And store bought Kale chips are super expensive.
About a year ago my husband surprised me with home made crunchy kale chips and I could not believe how delicious they were. He claims that, when we share a dessert or chips, I do this thing where I am all of a sudden very quiet ( and if you know me that does not happen very often) and let him talk only to make sure I can eat it all by myself 🙂 So that happened that night and we almost started fighting over the kale chips. I know, unbelievable! So since then I have been a fan of them, but it was a lot of work at first until I found the easiest and fastest method that I am going to share with you below.
For this specific recipe I used red kale . I got the advice from a farmer at the Union Square green market. Since this type is naturally more crispy it is easy to make chips out of it. I have tried curly kale before and it worked great as well. 🙂
When it comes to the servings, I would say that this recipe works for 4 people. You will pretty much have a medium salad bowl of crunchy kale chips. Now here is the thing, my husband and I eat the whole thing ourselves within probably 5 minutes. 🙂 So yes, I think the servings are very individual here 😉
There are a few important things to pay attention to when making crunchy kale chips
- Make sure the leaves are completely dry after washing them.
- Remove the stems.
- Do not use too much oil.
- Make sure there is enough space on the baking tray so they can dry up nicely. (See picture above)
Just like with everything else feel free to add your own spices and flavors. I heard garlic powder can be a nice addition as well. Enjoy!
Crunchy Kale Chips
- 1 bunch organic red kale washed and dried
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove the stems and cut kale into pieces (see picture above).
- Place kale on baking tray and drizzle with olive oil as evenly as possible.
- With your hands massage oil into the leafs. Arrange the kale on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip the leaves if necessary and bake for another 2-3 minutes if they are not crispy enough.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the chips cool down for a few minutes. Pour kale chips into a salad bowl and add sea salt to your liking