Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
This creamy sweet potato soup is the perfect comfort food for the colder season. Not only are sweet potatoes cheap, you can usually buy them all year round at your local farmers market.
I tried sweet potato soup last year for the first time in my life and was blown away by the flavor. So I experimented to make my own and it turned out very delicious. The taste is quite similar to butternut squash soup so if you like that, try the sweet potato one. It is a little faster to make because it is much easier to peel and cut sweet potatoes than a squash. You will still need a very sharp knife. If you don’t already have one it is one of the best investments you can make to facilitate your cooking experience.
I am originally from Germany and a lot of our food is based on potatoes, which used to be one of my favorite foods! Unfortunately I cannot eat it anymore because it is a nightshade vegetable, and I react to them. Luckily I discovered sweet potatoes (which are not part of the nightshade family) when moving to the USA. They kind of saved my life and if they aren’t part of your diet yet, you should try. For example with this delicious creamy sweet potato soup.
This recipe makes for a very creamy and sweet in taste soup. Feel free to add more coconut milk or the milk of your choice if you prefer your soup less thick.
If you like this recipe share it with your loved ones. Now I would like to hear from you. How did you like this creamy sweet potato soup and do you have any questions? Leave a comment in the section below.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Tbsp lard or coconut oil
- 1 onion small
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 cups sweet potato peeled and cut
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 cups bone broth beef or chicken
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- sea salt and pepper (omit pepper on AIP)
- Chop all the veggies into medium/small pieces
- In a medium/large pot heat (medium heat) heat up the lard or the oil of your choice. Add onions and garlic and cook until golden brown. Add sweet potatoes and ginger and roast for a couple of minutes.
- Add bone broth and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, then cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are very soft, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup in, for example a large blender, until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender you might have to do this in batches. Once pureed pour the soup back into the pot and add coconut milk, salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve hot, Enjoy!