This holiday winter salad will blow your mind. It tastes delicious, looks pretty and is packed with nutrients that will help you stay healthy through the colder months. It is the perfect healthy addition to your holiday meals. Check out other healthy holiday recipes that pair well with this salad, when putting together your menu.
The marinaded beets are my dad’s specialty and they taste so good that I wanted to incorporate them into this dish.
I used my honey mustard vinaigrette to marinate the beets. Feel free to use another dressing if you are following the autoimmune protocol (AIP) or don’t have the ingredients on hand. It also works well with a simple olive oil, balsamic vinegar dressing. The thinner you slice the beets the more delicious this dish will be. Once you have your slices place them into a medium bowl and cover every layer with the vinaigrette. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, the longer the tastier. In the meantime, you can prepare the rest of the salad.
I always recommend using lettuce, arugula, spinach, etc. from the fresh produce section. The precut versions seem convenient but they go bad very fast and don’t taste as good as fresh ones. I have a lot of clients tell me that they don’t like buying lettuce because they end up with slimy leftovers in the fridge. You won’t run into the same problem using the fresh version. If you store your greens properly they will last up to a week. Store them in a bowl or jar of water in the fridge. And even better you will avoid making plastic trash and help the planet at the same time. 🙂 For this holiday salad recipe, I used spinach and arugula. Make sure you wash them properly. I place them on a clean kitchen towel to dry. Remove the stems and serve the arugula and spinach on two plates.
Cut the figs in quarters and remove the seeds from the pomegranate. For an easy way to peel a pomegranate heck out this video. Once the beets are done marinating place them onto the arugula and spinach and drizzle with the left-over vinaigrette, that will now be purple. Add the figs, pomegranate, and pecans (omit on AIP) and voila, a super tasty holiday salad is done.
- 1 Beet
- 1/2 bunch spinach
- 1/2 bunch arugula
- 6 fresh figs
- 10 pecans omit on AIP
- 4 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil for the vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar for the vinaigrette
- 1 tsp dijon mustard for the vinaigrette, omit on AIP
- 2 tsp honey for the vinaigrette
- 1/4 tsp salt for the vinaigrette
- 1/8 tsp pepper for the vinaigrette, omit on AIP
- Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until creamy.
- Peel and cut the beets into very thin slices Place them into a medium bowl and cover every layer with the vinaigrette. Use all of the vinaigrette. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, the longer the tastier.
- In the meantime wash and dry the spinach and arugula and cut the stems.
- Wash and cut the figs in quarters. Remove the pomegranate seeds from the fruit.
- Once the beets are done marinating serve the spinach and arugula on plates. Add the beets, figs, pomegranate and pecans and drizzle with the rest of the vinaigrette.