I love to start my day with plenty of protein, healthy fats, starches, and a salad. Breakfast plantains are one of my favorite breakfast starches. This recipe is very simple and fast to make and perfect if you do not have a lot of time in the morning.
I usually eat them with a piece of grilled salmon that is left over from dinner the day before and a salad and if I feel extra fancy with some avocado. The combination of the starchy plantains, the fat of the avocado combined with some meat or fish fills me up much longer compared to when I used to eat grains in the morning. This breakfast gives me an amazing energy boost in the morning and keeps me satisfied for hours.
For these quick and easy breakfast plantains, I always buy the yellow ones. If you are like me and prefer to start your day with savory foods I recommend to buy them in their unripest state, which means they pretty much look bright and yellow like a banana.
If you prefer them sweet then get the ones with the brown spots. No, they have not gone bad 🙂
My favorite oil for frying these days is avocado oil. Seriously, if you haven’t tried it yet you might want to run to the store and pick up a bottle. It is so so so delicious. And very healthy for you. For more information about why it is so good for you, check out Dr. Sarah Ballantyne’s blog post
Delicious breakfast plantains variations:
- The simple version: Simply season the plantains with sea salt and pepper.
- My favorite version: Add a tiny bit of garlic powder to the mix. So delicious:)
- If you like it sweet: Fry plantains in coconut oil and add a tiny bit of honey in the end. Tastes best if your plantains are very ripe.
If you add avocado with your breakfast plantains, drizzle lemon or lime on it and add sea salt and pepper.
- 1 yellow plantain peeled (not too ripe)
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt and pepper (omit pepper on AIP)
- Peel and cut plantains into thin slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add a splash of avocado oil.
- Place plantains in the skillet and lower temperature to medium-low. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and add seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite protein, avocado, and/or a salad.