AIP “Potato” Salad
What screams summer more than a bowl of homemade Potato Salad as part of a BBQ? Get ready because this AIP “potato” salad is banging and suitable for anyone who cannot tolerate potatoes or other nightshade vegetables. It is easy to make and also a great meal to incorporate into your weekly meal prep. The recipe is dairy free, gluten, free paleo, and of course AIP.
AIP “Potato” Salad
I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys! It is so flavorful, super easy to make, and will make your wildest potato salad dreams come true. Summer BBQs just got so much better with this recipe. We can once again thank my mom for a major part of the inspiration behind this recipe. She makes an amazing German potato salad, and always uses bone broth to give it more flavor. This recipe is a bit of a fusion between a German potato salad and a more traditional American potato salad. If you don’t have a problem with potatoes feel free to use the recipe with regular potatoes.
What Kind of Sweet Potatoes Should I use?
For this specific recipe, it is important to not use orange-colored sweet potatoes. The two varieties of sweet potatoes that work are White/Hannah Sweet Potatoes or Japanese Sweet Potatoes. These are a lot firmer and less sweet, especially the white sweet potatoes.
Japanese sweet potatoes have purple skin and butter-colored flesh. White sweet potatoes look almost like regular potatoes from the outside besides the more typical sweet potato shape (a bit longer and sometimes pointy on the ends).
Sweet potatoes are often mislabelled as yams, so be aware of that when you are grocery shopping.
Ingredients in AIP “Potato” Salad
- White/Hannah Sweet Potatoes or Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- Green onions
- Coconut Yogurt
- Bone broth
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
Variations of this Salad
- Feel free to add more cucumber, celery or green onions to your liking.
- If you like the potato salad more acidic you can add a bit more lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- You can adjust the amount of spices or add your favorite spices that would make sense.
- You can add fresh herbs as a garnish: Chives and parsley are my favorites for this recipe.
More AIP BBQ Recipes
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes and Zucchini
- Molasses-Glazed Ribs (if you don’t have access to a grill)
- Chimichurri with a Twist
- Dairy-free Yogurt and Herb Dip
- Summer Berry Tart
- Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp
- Watermelon Lemonade
- Hibiscus Lavender Iced Tea
If you love this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment below. And as always don’t forget to tag me in your food pictures on Instagram